Friday, March 6, 2009

Juggling at SU

Just another quick update about notable stuff. Tonight (as happens almost every night) there was a party at the Student Union (Bruce, a geology professor at Colgate, would call it a "den of iniquity"), and they approached several student groups to perform. One of those groups was the juggling society, so we were scheduled to go on stage at the SU at 11:30. Having that timeslot meant there were like 30 people actually in attendance. Nobody shows up to the SU events until midnight, when the other bars close.

The irony about juggling society is that probably 70% of the people in it can not juggle. Instead they focus on things like poi (look it up... hard to describe), and things of that nature. In terms of performing at a party, those are actually much better skills to have since you can't really drop (you can mess up, and they are quite difficult, but when you do mess up you don't have things rolling around on the ground). So, against my shy, self-conscious nature I agreed to partake, but I was the only one juggling (I borrowed a girl's tennis-ball-green colored clubs that glowed fairly well in the dark). There also was no choreography to the thing... just going up there with things that have flashy lights and glow in the UV lights, hoping it would entertain the drunk people.

I can't say my personal contribution was one I'm particularly proud of. I lurked at the back trying my best not to look foolish by dropping things left and right, and failing. It likely would have been humiliating, but the chances that there was anyone in the crowd that knew who I was anyway were really low, so that helped. But now I suppose I can say I was on stage in England, which is something I can't even say about the US. It's all about the experiences, right?

1 comment:

  1. I ate poi in Hawaii but I'm not sure it's the same as you refer to. Dad

    ReplyDelete